Thursday, May 20, 2010

A white flowered plant is crossed with a plant that is heterozygous for the trait?

What percentage of the offspring will have purple flowers?

A white flowered plant is crossed with a plant that is heterozygous for the trait?
50% of the offspring would have purple flowers while the other 50% have recessive. The way I solved this question was using the Punnet Square. I assigned litte p for the white flowers because the white - colored flowers are recessive trait while purple - colored flowers are dominant. I assigned upper case P for the purple flowers. Since the white flower must have both recessive alleles in order to be recessive, its genotype is pp while the other plant's genotype is Pp. When I crossed the two plants I got 50% purple and the other 50% white. Check this wikipedia website for help on the setting up Punnet Squares: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominance_r...


Hope this helps!
Reply:0%


No comments:

Post a Comment