Sunday, May 23, 2010

What's the best Clematis to grow in zone 8-9, Easiest, with abundant long flowering period?

My clematis isn't doing very well. I do keep the roots covered with large pieces of oak bark and/or other plants, and the vine which is climbing up the cyclone fence is in sun for approx 6-8 hrs per day. But it seems to just barely be hanging on. One variety and the unhealthist, is a "will goodwin", the other only one I have I don't know the variety but it makes pretty deep purple flowers, and is doing a little better than the W.G. My soil is naturally around 5PH. Should it be raised for clematis, if so with what, besides lime. Also, will the clematis climb up a brick wall? or do you know of any type of flowering plant that will climb a brick wall where it would get only 3-4 hrs of morning sun (east side of house) My thanks. as is, as was, as will be, trickyricky

What's the best Clematis to grow in zone 8-9, Easiest, with abundant long flowering period?
My favorite Clematis is 'Henryii'. It gets large white flowers, and will bloom in the spring and in the fall.





Here are a few additional cultivars that I have found to be reliable:





'Dawn' is light pink and white


'Niobe' is a reddish/burgundy color


'The President' is dark purple





I'd be happy to e-mail you a few pictures of my plants if you want to see what these cultivars look like.

long shoe horns

No comments:

Post a Comment