Saturday, November 19, 2011

Question about caring for iris flowers?

Neighbor dug up a bunch of his in-full-bloom purple standard iris flowers for me and told me to plant them. They are beautiful. I planted them a week ago, and so far, so good (they seem to have "took"). The existing purple flowers are gorgeous, but I don't see any new buds. Are these a type that just bloom once a year and that's it? Once the flowers are gone, do I just leave the leaves as they are in the soil or do I dig them up?

Question about caring for iris flowers?
Yes, the iris just bloom once a year. You can leave them right in the ground, and once the blooms are over trim the leaves down to about 6 inches high, in a fan shape. This helps reduce moisture loss and encourages new growth. Just make sure that the tops of the rhizome are out of the soil, this is the fleshy part under the leaves and over the roots.





I love iris, you're lucky they are still blooming well for you.
Reply:Once a year bloom; but is a perennial.


They will return year after year if planted deep enough. Reproductions are created from new bulbs off existing roots. Next year may be same number of Iris you planted; years later, you should be seeing additional stalks.


I don't trim mine until either fall or next spring; this is an individual's taste.


No comments:

Post a Comment